Saturday, August 6, 2011

Musical Chairs is No Fun Without Any Chairs (Music)

You know how our parents always say their music was the best, how our generation has no artist that will have longevity? Sadly, I am starting to understand why they say that. Now I know with this next statement, people are probably going to say I have no credibility and leave, oh well by :D, but the few who are willing to hear my argument, here's my statement: I have not listened to the radio willingly since 2001 for the simple fact that most mainstream music is just no good.

Alright, how many people did I lose? 1...2....3....a few people left. The reason I say this because I started to notice where music was heading. Most songs nowadays talk about a few, yet similar topics: money, sex, "swag",  drinking/smoking, partying, and how great they are. Why would I want to hear that all day? I already have to hear it enough in real life, why would I want my musical escape to remind me of these things? And I am not ashamed to say this either, Wayne's not good, Lady Gaga I could care less about, Drake who....etc etc...list goes on. Many of my friends who know me understand why I can say this. I find that their music has little substance for me and just promote things I already don't do. So who do I listen to, what does NoFuture listen to you ask? Well for starters I am not totally turned off from Hip-Hop. I still listen to people like Nas, Eminem, Jay-z, and other veterans that proved themselves way before the hostile takeover of rap. I also listen to a lot of classic rock, drum and bass/ liquid (thanks DK *I secretly hate you*), classical, and a whole lot of different artist.

If you couldn't tell by my picture, one of my favorite artist is Jimi Hendrix, and I know a lot of debaters are already about to say "What about Purple Haze, that was about drugs." I scoff at thee, because it is a known fact that it is not about drugs but a dream he had. He later used the appeal though to get with that crowd.  Now if you don't believe that my music has any substance or couldn't possibly send a better message, you could be right, but here's a list of songs you should hear: Gorillaz-New Genious, Purple Haze, Pink Floyd-Dogs, Aerosmith-Dream On, and Goldfish-We Come Together. I don't mind waiting for you to listen to these really quick as I may join you. However, in a lot of these songs there are deeper meaning then just what is given and on top of that it s not super super negative and "bitch this, motherf**k that...." and all. Like I said I do listen to some rap and I am a fan of people like NWA and stuff, but I don't listen to it that often because of how negative it is.

I look at how people inn my generation act now, and I somewhat have to blame the music industry. Before, a lot of the music was soothing and talked about how people were being affected by this and that. Now I just hear a whole lot of have sex, lets drink and get high, fun time fun time, be like me kids, and I don't like that? Honestly tell me that you haven't seen kids these day all trying to be like one of their rap idols, and tell me you haven't seen them make some bad choices? Now I'm not saying everyone who wants to be a rapper is bad or  sucks, because I actually have a few friends who are aspiring artist and I can listen to what they have to say. They even know how I feel about music these days. I'm just want to know where the good music at? The ones that can help me feel good without immersing myself in drugs and sex.

Here's a few more good songs too:
Chemical Brothers: Star Guitar, Galvanize
Nujabes: Just Forget, Battlecry, Kumoni, Counting Stars, Space between two worlds
Noisa: Shellshocked
Netsky: Storm Clouds, Strobots
London Elektricity: Elektricity will keep me warm, Love the silence

"All I'm writing is just what I feel, that's all. I just keep it almost naked. And probably the words are so bland."-Jimi Hendrix

No comments:

Post a Comment